- Blair M, Stewart-Brown S, Waterston T, Crowther R, 2010. Child public health. Second edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Core text on the theory and practice of child public health.
- Hall D, Elliman D (eds), 2006. Health for all children. Revised fourth edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Recommended programme of child health promotion, surveillance, and screening for the UK.
- Marmot M, Wilkinson RG (eds), 2006. Social determinants of health. Second edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Introductory text on the relationship between health and factors such as poverty and employment.
- Shonkoff JP, Phillips DA (eds), 2000. From neurons to neighbourhoods: the science of early childhood development. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
Synthesis of current understanding of early child/brain development and implications for policy and services.
- Bradshaw J (ed), 2011. The well-being of children in the UK. Third edition. Policy Press, Bristol.
Comprehensive synthesis of routinely available UK data on child well-being and the factors that influence it.
- Dex S, Joshi H (eds), 2005. Children of the 21st century: from birth to nine months. Policy Press, Bristol.
Summary of findings from the first wave of the UK Millennium Cohort Study (children aged 9 months).
- Hansen K, Joshi H, Dex S (eds), 2010. Children of the 21st century: first five years. Policy Press, Bristol.
Summary of findings from subsequent waves of the UK Millennium Cohort Study (children aged 3 and 5 years).
- Eisenstadt N, 2011. Providing a Sure Start: how government discovered early childhood. Policy Press, Bristol.
Description of establishing the Sure Start programme in England.
- Belsky J, Melhuish EC, Barnes J (eds), 2007. The national evaluation of Sure Start: does area-based early intervention work? Policy Press, Bristol.
Summary of the national evaluation of the Sure Start programme covering implementation and the period up to children attaining three years of age.
- Sylva K, Melhuish E, Sammons P, Siraj-Blatchford I, Taggart B (eds), 2010. Early childhood matters: evidence from the effective pre-school and primary education project. Routledge, Abingdon.
Summary of the findings of the EPPE project that assessed the impact of children's early home and care learning environments on their development (period up to children attaining 11 years of age covered).
- Stone DH, 2011. Injury prevention in children: a primer for students and practitioners. Dunedin Academic Press, Edinburgh.
Introductory text on the theory and practice of preventing unintentional and intentional injuries in childhood.